General Terms and Conditions

Reports and musings from a seminarian at General Theological Seminary, New York City.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Prayer

My heart is filled with sadness tonight.

I just received a call from someone to whom I am very close telling me that his relationship of over 20 years is floundering. I was very surprised, since I had no idea that this was even a possibility. Even after talking to him, I don't really have any idea what caused the two of them to fall into trouble, or what the future might bring. Perhaps he doesn't know the answer to these questions either.

But that is not important right now. I think what is needed now is to listen to both of them, and to let them know, over and over, that I love them. And I think prayer is needed, too.

Tonight I pray this prayer from the Book of Common Prayer (p. 831):

O merciful Father, who has taught us in your holy Word that you do not willingly afflict or grieve your children: Look with pity upon the sorrows of your servants for whom our prayers are offered. Remember them, O Lord, in mercy, nourish their souls with patience, comfort them with a sense of your goodness, lift up your countenance upon them, and give them peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home